Thursday, January 15, 2009

Okay as it turns out.....

I did manage to get FreeBSD to print an independent document (aside from the test doc) for a grand glorious total of exactly 5 seconds. :/ THEN I discovered that I really didn't need CUPS after all and proceeded to destroy every bit of it. D'oh!! Right after which *nothing* would print. If you heard howls of frustration late last night, that was me. :P I then tried in disgusting amounts of vain to reinstall but CUPS refused. I guess deleting the associated folders out of the ports directory was a *bad* idea. Plus I think before that I downloaded a newer copy of CUPS and for the life of me I couldn't figure out where to find how to change the authorizations to change anything in the CUPS admin page, which sucked.

I wound up reinstalling the whole OS 'cause the stress of getting it to work was really annoying me. After a half day of reinstalling and reconfiguring, I manged to get everything to work beautifully again. The print commands look entirely nasty but *man* does it work! :D Meh, since I probably won't be printing *too* often from that box, copying the printcap file to /etc every time probably won't kill me and by the time it does, I'll probably have figured out a better way to do it anyways :D And I am almost positive there is an easier way to do it, but at this point I really can't care any less, 'cause like I said, at least it works :D I did all of this primarily 'cause I wanted to be see if I could not out of any real desire to be able to print stuff from *another* computer :P Plus I figured I'd at least get this out of the way now since I have high speed Internet connection at my disposal :)

See, kids? being hard headed and persistent really does pay off in the long run :D I can move on now :P

No comments: